Ingredients (6 servings)
- 16 oz bag brown rice fusilli pasta (gluten-free)
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 1 cup grated carrot (~4 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup Nayonaise (or light mayo)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt to taste
- Start by cooking pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, chop broccoli into small florets and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Nayonaise, vinegars, and salt. I prefer this dairy-free mayo because it is much lower in both calories and fat than even light traditional mayo. For another vegan alternative, Vegenaise can also be used.
- Set dressing aside once combined.
- Carefully grate carrots and try not to cut your wrist on the grater like I did. Ouch.
- Once pasta is finished cooking, use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove cooked pasta and transfer to a colander in the sink. Very important – DO NOT drain the pasta water! Run cold water over pasta for 30 seconds to stop any carryover cooking.
- Once the pasta water has come back to a boil, drop the broccoli florets into the water to blanch quickly for just 1-2 minutes. You don’t want to over-cook the broccoli, just heat enough to soften the slightest bit.
- Remove broccoli with slotted spoon and add to colander on top of pasta. Give it another shot of cold water to stop any additional cooking.
- Transfer pasta and broccoli to a large mixing bowl and top with carrots, raisins, and almonds.
- Add dressing and toss to combine. Season generously with salt.
Best enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
*Recipe courtesy of Gojee.com