From the cookbook: Mary Jane’s Farm, Cookbook, Lifebook.
2 cups plus 3T unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups plus 2T sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp almond extract
zest of a large lemon
1T baking powder
2 cups fresh Asian pears, peeled and diced
1 large egg white
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. grease and flour a 9-in. spring form pan.
2. Using a pastry cutter or fork, blend together 2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, salt and butter until crumbly. Press one cup of the mixture over the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan.
3. Whisk together the milk, eggs, almond extract, lemon zest, 3T of flour, and baking powder. Stir remaining crumb mixture into the liquids until blended but still a bit lumpy. Fold in pears. Pour into pan.
4. Beat egg white until foamy, add 2T sugar and beat until the whites stand in small peaks. Spread over the batter.
5. Bake for 65 minutes and let cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Remove sides of the pan and allow to finish cooling.