Locally, we have been fighting to preserve farmland and now I need your help to convince our two Congress Representatives to vote NO on HR1599: the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act. This bill essentially prevents states from adopting their own GMO laws and REVERSES any laws that have already passed. That is the wrong kind of leadership on this issue.
The anti-GMO community is calling this the DARK Act (Denying Americans the Right to Know Act). I have spoken with Congressman Rick Larsen and Congresswoman Suzan Delbene’s office and neither of them are committing at this time on which way they are going to vote. The vote is in two days – I know how I would vote!
Please click on the link and express your opinion. The vote is scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday. Also, please share this and let’s let our representatives know that GMO’s are not the future and should not receive preferential treatment from the federal government. ASK them to vote NO on HB 1599, aka the DARK Act.
Act Now on GMO Labeling to Stop the “DARK” Act
Contact your Representative in Congress today!
From the National Organic Coalition
The innocuously named HR 1599: the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act has been dubbed the DARK Act (Denying Americans the Right-to-Know Act) by members of the good food movement. The DARK Act will be voted on in Congress next week.
The DARK Act will:
- Prevent states from adopting their own GMO labeling laws and reverse laws that have already passed.
- Prevent state or county laws regulating GMO crops.
- Prevent the Food and Drug Administration from requiring companies to label GMO ingredients and instead continue a “voluntary” labeling policy. In 14 years, not one company has voluntary labeled products containing GMO ingredients.
Take action now to stop the DARK Act!
- Call the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121, and ask for your Representative’s office where you can leave her or him a message.
Click here to find out who your Representative is.
- Click here to send an email: Tell Congress to oppose the DARK Act and support mandatory GE food labeling!
Below is some sample language for your message to your Representative.
Please customize this to fit your voice.
Please oppose HR 1599 (the “Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act”). Congress should focus on the labeling solutions that Americans are asking for – not legislation written by and for big food and chemical companies that only serves to keep Americans in the dark.
You may also thank legislators who have come out against the Dark Act and for labeling:
For more information, and to send a message today, click here.
GMO food labeling is important to Americans, with over 90% consistently supporting transparency in the marketplace. In 2013 and 2014 there were over 70 GMO labeling bills introduced across 30 states, with laws being passed in Maine, Connecticut and Vermont.