Lemon-Herb Roasted Beets
- 1 1/2 pounds golden or red beets (trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces or wedges)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs such as marjoram, oregano, and/or rosemary (chopped (2 teaspoons if using dried herbs))
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450 degrees F.
Combine oil, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add beets; toss to coat with the seasoning mixture.
Spread the beets evenly on a rimmed baking sheet.
Roast, stirring once or twice, until the beets are tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Toss the roasted vegetables with lemon juice, if using.