Lemon Quinoa with Dill and Zucchini
Yield: 4-6 servings | Source: thekitchn.com
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions (about 6)
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup quinoa, well-rinsed and drained
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To make the quinoa, heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the green onions (the oil might splatter!) and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the dark green parts wilt but do not turn brown, about 2 minutes. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring occasionally, until the grains start to crackle and turn dry, about 3 minutes. Add the water, the currants, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely grate the zest of the lemon until you have 1 teaspoonful, and then squeeze the lemon until you have 2 tablespoons juice.
- To finish, remove the pan from the heat. Stir the zucchini, lemon juice and zest, 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons of the dill, and the pepper into the quinoa. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Cover and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl, sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons each of sesame seeds and dill, and serve.