etter than takeout. There’s nothing fried, and no MSG, or HFCS’d (high fructose corn syrup) included. And then we add the mango because mangos are extremely delicious this time of year.
2 tablespoons olive oil (sesame oil is good here if you have it)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
1-2 ripe mangos, peeled and chopped
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup organic tamari soy sauce (or liquid aminos), low sodium is best
Zest of 1 orange
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon unsweetened creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon chili sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, orange zest, maple syrup, peanut butter, and chili sauce until well combined (note: it’s okay if the peanut butter doesn’t incorporate all the way). Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large wok or sauté pan and heat to medium-high.
- Add the onion and sauté until it begins to turn translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté another 3 minutes
- Add the chopped raw chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the soy sauce and continue cooking, stirring frequently, allowing the mixture to boil about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped mango and cashews.
- Serve the cashew chicken over a long-grained rice such as volcano, or brown basmati rice. Serve with a side of greens. We’d suggest one of the leafy greens that came in your box of good this week.
Recipe adapted from theroastedroot.net