2 Cups peeled and diced apples
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of cinnamon
1. Make a topper and line the jar: Roll out a small handful of dough. Enough to cover the top of your jars, you can use the metal lid that comes with the jar as a cookie cutter. Line the jars.
2. Mix all apples, sugar and cinnamon.
3. Fill the jars (about 1/2 C filling for each jar)
4. Top it off: Make sure your “lid” has a vent so steam can escape. You can use a knive to make a couple of slits or a tiny cookie cutter to make it decorative.
5. When your topper is ready, slip it onto the top of the pie. It will be large enough that the outside edge goes up the side of the dough-covered jar a bit.
6. Brush pie tops with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
7. Freeze: When your pies are all done and topped, place metal lids back on and seal them tight. Then pop these them in the freezer.
8. Bake: Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the middles are bubbly. If you’re baking them fresh and not frozen they take about 45 minutes.
NOTE: If you are worried about putting these jars in the oven directly from the freezer, just remember these are canning jars – they are designed to be boiled, pressure cooked, etc. They bake just fine! If you’re really worried you can always let them sit at room temp for a bit first before putting them in a cold oven.
Original recipe: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/09/single-serving-pie-in-a-jar/